Monday, July 12, 2010

Rules by Cynthia Lord

"Sometimes people laugh when they like you. But sometimes they laugh to hurt you". This is a quote from a list of rules that Catherine has written for her little brother David. David has a disability called Autism. Because of David's disability, Catherine feels she has to help him learn about how to act, so that he will appear normal and not embarrass her.

When I was reading this book it reminded me of when I was in high school. I had a friend who was a little different from most of the other students. He was funny and smart and I liked him. But because he was different, people used to tease me for being friends with him. It was very hard to put up with the teasing, and keep him as a friend. So hard, that I eventually started to avoid him when I saw him in school. I could totally understand how Catherine felt about her friend Jason, who is in a wheel chair, and her brother David. I still feel bad that I avoided a good friend just because I wasn't strong enough to deal with the teasing.

Although this sounds like it's a very serious book, it is filled with scenes that will make you laugh. The author has a great sense of humor and David's character does a lot of funny things. You'll love the chapter called, "No toys in the fish tank." Go ahead read it; I dare you not to laugh!



17 comments:

  1. I think this is a great book! I loved the character of the little brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read half of this book and thought it was so cool! Cathrine was a great sister to David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simplyninjaa I hope you get a chance to read the second half of the book. As I remember, a lot of interesting and important events occur in the last few chapters. Glad you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats is a really good book.. i loveed it

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey simplyninjaa iwhat do u think about the book so far

    ReplyDelete
  6. this book was good :) I thought some parts were really sweet and cute :)I love how she is so sweet when she is dealing with Jared and David

    By: elleyxx2011

    ReplyDelete
  7. this book was very sweet and emotional I really liked the characters, Catherine and David. it is always a good book to take out anytime!



    By: ChiChi

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a really good book i heard alot of people read it





    by lalataco26

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've read this book it's a really good and sweetbook!





    by:XxPeanutButterxX

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really like this book. i read it i gave it to my best friends mom becasue her son is like the boy and it helped her a lot.

    By: benji3310

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading this.Melissa moving away for the summer reminds me of my former best friend Kearra in first grade.It was hard for me when she moved away.My favorite character is Jason.I just have some sort of thing for mute people.Sometimes I would actually skip paragraphs to get to "Jason scenes."I love when Catherine imagines what her guinea pigs and the toys in the fish tank are thinking.Here are some of my favorite quotes:
    "The doll has one hand raised,as if inviting Ken over.'And bring the scuba equipment too,okay,darling?'"
    "(Jason tapping his cards)Speech.Woman.Stinks a big one!!!"
    "He made her sound like a superhero.Speech Woman!Avenger of adverbs!Protector of Pronouns!"
    This is a good book for anyone who likes humorous stories,and especially family members of those with autism.
    -purpleneko18

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow purpleneko18! What a terrific comment on this book! I love the way you connected the text to your own life and how you included your favorite quotes. This has just become MY favorite comment on a book. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book sounds very interesting. My sister suggested me to read this book, and now you made me very interested to read it. who is your favorite character? -hockey2040

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an absolute, great book all around! I have read this book multiple times and I suggest to anyone who hasn't read this yet to read it! What was you're favorite part of this book?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This seems like a really good book

    ReplyDelete